Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Running Down

 I took up running eleven years ago because I wanted some regular aerobic, weight-bearing exercise to complement my cycling. Cycling is not weight-bearing, and does not help to stave off osteoporosis.

The past couple years I've been doing two 5k runs. In preparation for those, I start adding distance to my typically twice-weekly 2.22-mile runs around my neighborhood over the course of the four weeks prior, ramping up to close to 3.1 miles by the end.

In July, I ran the Pineland Striders' Independence Day 5k, and was surprised to finish 40 seconds slower than 2022.

This week, I ran the Audubon Veterans Day 5k, and was even more surprised to finish 2 minutes, 41 seconds slower than last year!

I am not sure why I am running so much slower, but I have to face the idea that age is catching up with me. And quickly. Damn.

My age-percentage is still well above 50, but when I look at the finish-line video, I see an old man trundling along. Others have commented on it as well.

Going forward, I think I will continue my neighborhood runs, and only do the Veterans Day run each November. It is local, and supports American Legion scholarships to Audubon High School seniors. And this way, I can continue to monitor my decline.

No comments:

Post a Comment