Friday, December 26, 2014

Work 'n' me

Work 'n' me
After getting thru a local state college while working part-time as a grocery-store clerk, I became a longhair carpenter for twelve years, with a couple years of auto-body repair and regular unemployment (including self-unemployment) mixed in. Then a family member offered to take me on as an accounting trainee in my mid-thirties. So, thinking I might not get another such shot at a regular gig, I came in from the cold.

In due course I became the three-letter variety of accountant. I think I am more suited to work with words, but numbers, tho I labor at them, have paid the bills.
However, after thirteen years of it, and resorting to SSRIs to get thru the boom-bust income-tax work cycles, I realized public accounting was not for me, got out, then found my way into business-casual corporate accounting. This turned out to be a better fit. I am not much of a button-down guy.

After going thru a couple stints followed by downsizings in the fast-changing computer tech industry, I was sent by a temp agency to a nearby (bike-commutable) automobile-related company. Before my temp year was up, a permanent accounting position came open there, and being a known quantity at that point, I was hired.

The company is a stable one that is doing well and treats its people well.  After ten years there as a foot soldier (non-manager), I am sixty-five and retirement is on the near horizon.
I consider myself fortunate to have wound up in this position, in good health (having been born with the constitution of a goat) and having friends and bikes to play with now and in the years ahead. Onward, ever onward.
Knees in the breeze, ride safe, watch your six.

No comments:

Post a Comment