Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Millville 100km randonneur ride 1.19.2022

Rode the Millville 100k today with Rick, Dawn and Jim (stronger riders all).
Jim created the course a few years back, and Dawn was the recent owner under the previous Permanent system (now RUSA owns all the routes, in order to make the rides insurable).
This is the fourth time I've done this one; last February I rode it less than 48 hours after my first Covid-19 vaxxing, and had a bout of dizziness near the end. It went better this time. Mid-ride I did have a bit of soreness in my thighs (unusual), so I popped an ibuprofen.
It was nice having these good folks to pull me along and keep my pace up, otherwise I might have dogged it on that last 16-mile straight stretch on NJ 49.

Early on, a policeman pulled alongside me and said I should ride on the shoulder. I said I was avoiding the rumble strip, but in truth there was room to ride to the right of it, so I moved over. I thought I was within my rights to ride on the road, but I've always felt respect for a New Jersey State Trooper, and this time was no different. (I like seeing them on TV, in their distinctive 'kit' in the end zones at the NJ Meadowlands football stadium during New York Giants and Jets games.) He then pulled ahead, and said the same thing to my co-riders. Everyone complied. We saw him at least 3 more times on that long stretch of Fairton Road, driving back and forth and pulling over a couple cars.

A lot of this 'down Jersey' route is on straight, quiet country roads, so there were plenty of chances to ride two-by-two and shoot the breeze. Rick and I did some joking and punning, as usual, after seeing a sign outside a fire hall for meatloaf. [EDIT: Meatloaf's death was announced 1.21.2022]  I learned that Jim once got frostbitten fingers while racing his motorbike, and had to have help removing his hands from the bars at the finish. (He now has chronic issues with frostbite.) I enjoyed hearing Dawn talk about her Paris-Brest-Paris plans; she rode that 1200k/744-miler in 2015, missed 2019 due to knee problems, but is hoping to repeat in 2023 (it takes place every 4 years). In order to qualify, you have to record some long rides, including a 600k/372-miler. She plans to do that plus go longer this year and do a 1200k in preparation. Godspeed, Dawn. You are the only person I know and ride with who has done P-B-P, the oldest and most prestigious randonneur brevet. Kudos and cred.

Not a bad riding day for January, with temps 39-48F, winds a bit strong at 14-16mph but out of the South/Southwest, which meant they were mostly crosswinds on this particular route, thank Buddha.

Route map, elevation profile and pics here:

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/81740404

No comments:

Post a Comment