Friday, June 9, 2023

Crank Recall Blues

 I learned on bikeforums.net that Shimano issued a CPSC recall for some cranks that were prone to cracking. The 1997 date of the recall didn't seem to have a cutoff period, as someone posting on the bf site just had the recall done, and at no cost to him. Pretty good of them, considering it is now 16 years later.

The forum had plenty of info, so I knew what part numbers were affected. I checked the bikes in my shed, and sure enough, my 1996 GT Outpost (rigid fork MTB with the cro-mo 'triple-triangle' frame) had a crank that fit the bill. The bike had been my work commuter 2 days a week, but I retired 7 years ago, so it has seen only limited use since then. With its racks and 26 x 1.95 tires, it is jeep-like and makes a decent grocery-getter, but I already have 2 of those, with 700c tires for more speed and longer distance. I had it in mind possibly to sell the GT, and since there were plenty of instances of cranks failing, some of which caused injury, I figured I might as well make it right for the next owner.

I contacted my local REI store, figuring my being a member might facilitate things. The guy said to bring the bike in, and they would look into the matter. The tech at the counter during drop-off, tho, said the recall may have ended due to the number of years that had passed. When I protested that someone just had the recall honored a month before, the tech said he was "just trying to manage expectations." Fair enough. He put a $60 charge on the work order, but said that might be picked up by Shimano.

About a week later, I got a call from another tech, telling me Shimano approved the work and was sending new parts - chainrings/cranks, bottom bracket, front derailleur and chain (I'd heard they frequently replaced all those parts for compatibility sake). My charge was now to be $80 (which I did not protest, figuring I could get into that later), and the REI shop should finish the job and call me in a week or so.

I called Shimano, and was told that they supply the parts and include an undisclosed (I asked) allowance to the shop for return shipping (Shimano wanted to see the old parts and take them out of circulation, I think). But Shimano does not cover the labor. That was between me and my shop.

A week or so later, I was told my bike was ready, and the charge was now $139 plus tax. Per the invoice, it broke down this way:

Crankset + Bottom Bracket install $60

Derailleur install $28

Chain install $20

Der cable install $28

It shows on the invoice that I did get the shop member labor rate, $100/hr. This is supposed to be 20% off the non-member cost, which I guess must be $125/hr. Bike shops need to turn a profit, and I'd like to see this one especially survive (tho I do my own work), so I can't begrudge them the invoice amount. It's just that I went into this thinking I'd get it all done free, as some others have. Oh well.

The invoice also pointed out other claimed deficiencies with the bike, including "tires are dry-rotted" (which they aren't) and "cassette is worn and should be replaced." Seeing as how it now had a new chain and probably the original cassette, this last item wasn't surprising. Glad the shop didn't take it upon themselves to go ahead and do that work; I bought the part online ($22) and did my own install.

So now I have sunk $167 into a bike I bought for $125 off Craigslist in 2011 and wasn't using anymore. It's a good bike with a mostly new drivetrain, but I doubt I could sell it and recoup my recent reinvestment.

Still, it makes a good story for bike nuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment